Thursday, April 06, 2006

Madam Mayo Is On the Road to Fez

Yep, I'm in Morocco. En route I'll be reading Ruth Knafo Setton's novel, The Road to Fez. She's a very interesting and powerful writer who has also spent time in Mexico. Read an interview with her here.

Please check back with this blog on April 18th. I'll have news about some of the writers and translators in my new anthology Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion, information about my upcoming Revision Workshop at the Writers Center, and -- I would imagine -- something to "blog" about Morocco. Last time I was there was in 1983, to take a writing workshop with Paul Bowles in Tangier. Bowles was the author of some sublime short stories and several novels including The Sheltering Sky. But alas, I learned more from reading his work than from him personally. That's another blog post. Maybe.