Monday, July 13, 2015

Mexico: Sunlight & Shadows, edited by Mikel Miller with Michael Hogan and Linton Robinson (Cover Painting by Erick Ochoa)

A shout out for Mikel Miller et al's new anthology, Mexico: Sunlight & Shadows, Short Stories and Essays by Mexico Writers which includes a cornucopia of works by Mexico-based English language writers, including Yours Truly with an excerpt from "Bahía de los Ángeles: Bay of Angels," a chapter of my book Miraculous Air: Journey of a Thousand Miles through Baja California, the Other Mexico. 

I'm also thrilled to mention that the cover features the painting "Demon and Angel" by Todos Santos artist Erick Ochoa. I met Ochoa an age ago through my amigo, Michael Cope, a brilliantly accomplished painter, Ochoa's teacher, and owner of Galeria de Todos Santos. (Miraculous Air has a chapter dedicated to Todos Santos and much to say about Cope and other artists in Todos Santos.)

More about the anthology edited by Mikel Miller et al

More about Miraculous Air (available in paperback and Kindle)

More about Erick Ochoa and Michael Cope and the Galeria de Todos Santos

More about Blue Demon

P.S. It was just after I'd written Miraculous Air that I happened upon the then little-known Far West Texas town of Marfa, which seemed to me a doppelgänger of Todos Santos, and so sparked the idea of writing another travel memoir. I didn't start my book about Far West Texas until more than a decade later, however (a novel and a biography of sorts intervened). It's a work in-progress, and I'm posting podcasts as I go — mainly of interviews. 
Listen in anytime to "Marfa Mondays" podcasts here.


***UPDATE: A glowing review by James Tipton for MexicoConnect