Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Mexican Fiction in Translation: Agustín Cadena and Rose Mary Salum in ArLiJo

I am very honored and delighted to announce that the new issue #91 of Robert Giron's ArLiJo features two of my translations of Mexican short fiction: Agustín Cadena's "The Coco" and Rose Mary Salum's "Someone is Calling Me." 




More about Agustín Cadena:

> His blog, El vino y la hiel


More about Rose Mary Salum:

Rose Mary Salum's blog, Entre los espacios

Rose Mary Salum, Founding editor of Literal

A Conversation with Rose Mary Salum (super crunchy)

A Note on the second issue of Origins, edited by Dini Karasik, featuring Mexican writer Rose Mary Salum



A tip of the sombrero to you, my fellow El Pasoan, dear Robert Giron!
Thank you for your long-time support for literary translation!


[[ ¡Viva ArLiJo issue #91! ]]

A Note on Literary Projects & Literary Translation by Yours Truly
Alas, given that there are not 50 hours in the day and 700 days in the year I am not anywhere near ever becoming a full-time literary translator. My main literary projects at the moment are my own book on Far West Texas, and the related podcast series, "Marfa Mondays," but, as I have for many years now, I make it a regular practice to translate Mexican contemporary short fiction and poetry. (My most recent book is about and includes a book I translated-- an exception to my usual translation work on many levels, including the fact that the author was murdered in 1913. That book is Metaphysical Odyssey into the Mexican Revolution: Francisco I. Madero and His Secret Book, Spiritist Manual.)

As a resident of Mexico City, and a writer and poet myself, I treasure the opportunity to translate my Mexican contemporaries and bring them to English language readers. And I have plenty to say about all that: See "Translating Across the Border," my talk for the 2015 American Literary Translators Association Conference panel on "Translating the Other Side."


At present, I am working on The Water that Rocks the Silence, a collection of linked short stories,  El agua que mece el silencio,  by Rose Mary Salum (three more to go for a complete first draft); a short story by Araceli Ardón (advanced draft); a second short story by Ignacio Solares (rough draft); and poem by Alberto Blanco (draft). Fingers crossed, later this year, I may have some news about a collection of stories by Agustín Cadena. 


Would that the day had more hours!

> For more about my published translations, click here.




> My amiga the poet and writer Pat Dubrava and I both translate Mónica Lavín and Agustín Cadena. Read her post about her visit to Mexico City in her blog, Holding the Light.

Your comments are always welcome. Write to me here.
> My newsletter goes out to subscribers soon. I welcome you to join the list here.