Monday, March 24, 2008

Alvaro Enrigue

It's been a while since I've done any translating--- after translating a large part of and editing Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion and the first Tameme chapbook, a short story by Agustin Cadena, I had to put translating aside for a while in order to finish my novel. But I recently finished a translation of a devastatingly good short story by Alvaro Enrigue, one of Mexico's most talented young writers--- about, of all things, the last years of the life of Ishi. Most California school children know the haunting story of Ishi--- one of the saddest of the continent. (If you don't know it, check out this teacher's guide from the Phoebe Hearst Museum of Anthropology.) What Alvaro Enrigue made of it in his fiction is surprising indeed. The story--- "On the Death of the Author"--- is not for Tameme, alas; it is to be included in an anthology of Mexican fiction selected by Alvaro Uribe forthcoming--- I'm not sure, but I understand it's very soon. More anon.